Skip to content

2018 RAW Symposium Call For Papers

October 17, 2017

RAW (Research ~ Art ~ Writing) 2018

Date: February 24, 2018

Theme: Negotiating Tragedy

Submission Deadline: December 1st, 2017

Keynote Speaker: Karen Kelsky, “The Professor is In”

The Arts & Humanities Graduate Student Association of the University of Texas at Dallas will hold its tenth annual graduate symposium on February 24th at the UT Dallas campus in Richardson, TX.  The RAW: Research, Art, Writing conference is organized by and for graduate students, and offers an opportunity for student scholars around the world to share their work and ideas with their peers across the humanities disciplines.

What is the role of art in tragedy?  We seek understanding and the ability to cope by channeling frustration, confusion, chaos, and anger into paintings, poetry, and works of fiction.  Capturing tragedy on film, be it a still image which isolates a moment in the midst of a mass shooting, or a documentary that attempts to piece together a war we still do not understand, helps us to observe from a safe distance while aligning ourselves with those who were directly impacted.  Historical studies of colonialism, the Holocaust, the Stalinist purges, World War I, World War II, and the Long Civil Rights Movement, to name only a very few events, are crucial to our ability to comprehend, and eventually move forward as a global society.  On a more individual level, everyday personal tragedies of abuse, depression, drug addiction, and homelessness are all-consuming.  How do we negotiate tragedy?  In the words of Robert Frost, “I can see no way out but through.”  As academics, we must persist in our studies to achieve a higher level of understanding, to cut a path through the tragic, and lead others out.

We invite abstracts for individual presentations, as well as fully constructed panels (3-4 speakers) that address all aspects of negotiating tragedy.

Suggestions for presentations and panels include, but are certainly not limited to: 

  • Anti-semitism/the Holocaust
  • Philosophy and tragedy
  • The Long Civil Rights Movement
  • Coping with tragedy through sci-fi and fantasy films
  • Creative writing (fiction or poetry)
  • Scientific progress through tragedy
  • Music and tragedy
  • Shakespeare’s tragedies
  • Greek tragedy
  • The tragic artist
  • Tragedy and comedy
  • The aftermath of fear (consumerism, baby-booms)
  • Visual arts
  • Digital media
  • Documentary films

In an effort to support graduate student scholars, we will be hosting a virtual workshop during the conference with Karen Kelsky, the Founder and President of “The Professor Is In.”  Our workshop will focus on how graduate students can complete the transition from student to scholar.  Karen Kelsky is known internationally for her lectures, workshops, and one-on-one assistance available for Ph.D. students entering their careers.  You can learn more about Karen Kelsky at:  theprofessorisin.com.

Proposals are due by December 1st, 2017. Full-panel proposals will be given priority.  All proposals must follow the below guidelines:

  • Complete mailing addresses, e-mail, phone number
  • An abstract of no more than 200 words, including 3 to 5 key words
  • Visual art presentations must include medium
  • Panel proposals must also include: Proposal for overall panel in addition to 200 word abstract for each individual participant

All submissions should be sent to utd.gsa@gmail.com.

Notification of acceptance will be provided by December 15, 2017

 

  • Download the PDF file of the CFP here: RAW CFP

 

 

Advertisements

Meeting Minutes (Oct. 10, 2017)

October 17, 2017

Discussed RAW prep – Raw will be Feb 24th. The theme is “Negotiating Tragedy.”

Things we should figure out soon:

  • How do we get on the school’s calendar?
  • When should we schedule our monthly general meeting?

Workshops we intend to give this academic year:

  • (Oct.) Writing Conference proposals (see if we can bring in Thomasina Hickman?)
  • (Nov.) Writing a conference paper
  • (Dec.) Conference Etiquette
  • (Jan.) Tips for resenting at conferences
  • (Feb.) No meeting in Feb because of RAW
  • (Mar.) publishing papers / writing a journal article
  • (Apr.) Tips for Finding an academic job

Jacqueline has other ideas for social get-togethers:

  • The fall social only cost about 200 dollars- food, decor, etc. So we do have some money for other events or perhaps food for a general meeting or two. Or we could use the money for a spring social.
  • I would like also to do a monthly meet up kinda like Teri did with the Titty llamas. I was thinking of maybe bingo or trivia at Alamo.

Faculty meeting (11 Oct.)

We assumed Tracey will go. Tracey, please announce about RAW’s “Negotiating Tragedy” theme while you’re there.

We need to invite Ben Wright to our meetings because he hasn’t been involved in anything yet (Some of us haven’t even met him yet!!)

We need to advertise faculty brown bag stuff.

Suzanne will be in charge of updating our website.

Madhavi might not be able to be our social media person (so if anyone else wants the job??)

Additional Suggestions for the GSA:

  • We should keep a resource (online) to keep a collection of grad student book reviews, for grad students by grad students.
  • We should try to the best of our abilities to convince the higher powers to implement electronic signing of forms (for proposals, independent studies, etc.) (Use DocuSign)
    • Some arguments in favor of this: Its considered a legally signed document legally, it prints in color, use how much money it costs…
    • Tracey should start with Dr. Gooch and Alice. Amy volunteered to go with Tracey as an ambassador for the cause.

 

2017 UTD GSA RAW Symposium Call for Papers

October 7, 2016

Click here for 2017 UTD GSA RAW Symposium Call for Papers and more!

Meeting Minutes 8/19/2016

August 27, 2016

GSA Senate meeting
We met at Einstein bagels at 11 a.m.
Who was there:
Teri
Jennifer
Linda
Suzanne
Brian DiNuzzo

Topics discussed:

Fall Social
– As of Aug. 19th, we received 15 RSVPs however, the expected number is 40. Teri will confirm with Taco Joint that we will be min. 30 people. Update: As of Aug. 27, we now have almost 30 RSVPs. Teri will increase the appetizers to 40 servings.
– Amal and Linda volunteered to arrive early (3:30 pm) to greet early birds.
– Teri will send invitations to new faculty members.
– Jennifer will remind Pia to send a reminder.
– Teri bought some name tags, the ones that says: Hello, My name is…
– Brian D. will put flyers in mailboxes and Amal and Suzanne will put flyers on all the office doors.

GSA internal business
– Amal will be the historian (responsible for documenting meeting min. and other things).
– We need everyone’s phone numbers for better communication, Amal will create a sheet and send it to everyone.
– We will use WordPress for meeting minutes instead of word documents. We are not sure what to use our blog for?!!
– Julie Gavran will be the guest speaker at GSA 1st general meeting. Brian D. and Suzanne will study UTD gun situation to discuss the matter with Julie.
– Amal and Teri are responsible for cleaning up our Google Drive.
– We need to visit the 6300 classes to introduce GSA and to invite potential new students to Fall Social. Teri will work on a schedule.
– Teri and Suzanne attended A&H faculty meeting 8/18/2016 and here are notes of the meeting:

• Dean Kratz discussed amendment to the A&H by-laws to bring them into compliance with the university by-laws and give voting rights to all non-tenure-track (NTT) faculty. Faculty voted to give limited voting rights to NTT faculty.
• A&H hired 3 full-time senior lecturers (NTT): Misty Owens, Lorena Camacho-Guardado, and Patsy Totusek.
• Dr. Natalie Ring is the new associate dean of A&H undergraduate education. Michele Hanlon is the new A&H associate dean for the arts. Pia Jakobsson is now called the assistant dean for graduate education.
• Dr. Redman, A&H representative on the university senate, reported that:
•There will be a UTD DART station opening in 2025.
•If you want to declare your office a gun-free zone, you must give oral notice any time a student visits you there—you can’t just put a sign on your door. People who share an office cannot make their office a gun-free zone.

• Dr. Matt Brown discussed his proposal for creating a new degree, a BA in philosophy. Dean Kratz called for a vote on the new philosophy degree, which passed.

Meeting Minutes 3/24/16

March 28, 2016

3/24/2016 GSA General Meeting minutes (by Teri)

Meeting was held in the Ackerman Center at 5:00 pm.

RAW

Teri asked for feedback on the 2016 RAW conference. The general consensus was that the conference went smoothly. There were two suggestions: signs inside and outside the ATEC building to direct participants to the conference rooms, and better coordination with ATEC facilities management to ensure that the building and rooms are unlocked in a more timely fashion. (We recognize that we have control over only one of these two suggestions.)

A question was asked about how the RAW entry fees are used. Entry fees go toward the keynote speaker’s fee, travel, and hotel costs, and toward the participants’ lunch and reception expenses. Funds provided by the A&H department make up the difference.

Tracey noted that for RAW 2017, we will try to coordinate with the Center for Values to engage a speaker; if we are successful, this may determine the date of our conference.

Reports from Faculty Meetings

Teri read Poe’s reports from the faculty and executive committee meetings:

Dean Kratz has decided to form various committees in an attempt to figure out a way to increase the A&H graduate and undergraduate populations. There has been a steady drop in graduate school admittance over the last four years. To counter that, Dean Kratz also wants to create a film studies certificate and an MFA program dedicated to “Narrative Arts.”

Ashley Barnes (19th Century Literature) and Manny Martinez (Creative Writing) have been offered and accepted tenure-track positions, negotiations are ongoing.

Miscellaneous

 The GSA will hold an end-of-the-year social event some time after April 29 and before May 15.

Teri noted that elections for next year’s GSA Senate will be held soon and encouraged people to run for office.

An attendee asked whether the GSA Senate would be willing to issue a statement regarding the campus-carry law that will go into effect in fall 2017. We discussed the issue at some length and agreed that we would probably be able to invite a guest speaker to a general GSA meeting to explain the ramifications of the law for graduate student TAs. Teri will invite Julie Gavran to speak to us at the first meeting of the fall semester.

 

Final RAW Program

March 1, 2016

RAW PROGRAM 2016 Final Version

2016 RAW Preliminary Program

February 21, 2016

Preliminary RAW PROGRAM 2016